Ready to Breathe Easier?
Pulmonary Rehabilitation at Pottstown Hospital
The Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Pottstown Hospital is designed to improve the physical and emotional health, fitness and quality of life for patients with pulmonary conditions. The program's emphasis is on cardiopulmonary fitness, nutritional and behavioral counseling, and education. Our staff of Respiratory Therapists provides support and encouragement to help our patients achieve their personal goals.
The following conditions are appropriate for pulmonary rehabilitation:
- Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Asthmatic bronchitis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis
Restrictive Pulmonary Disease
- Interstitial fibrosis
- Rheumatoid pulmonary disorders
- Collagen vascular disease
- Severe obesity
- Pulmonary vascular disease
- Lung resection
- Lung transplantation
- Occupational or environmental lung disease
- Lung reduction surgery
Start-to-finish pulmonary rehabilitation services
Once enrolled, you'll be guided start-to-finish through our comprehensive program.
The services you'll receive include:
- Comprehensive evaluation
- Individually designed rehabilitation program
- Medically supervised exercise
- Education and counseling
- Supportive environment from others experiencing pulmonary events
- Referral to Tower Health programs
- Referral to a clinical dietitian
- Continuation in a maintenance exercise program
The doctors, dietitians, and respiratory therapists who make up our pulmonary rehabilitation team hold a variety of certifications in specialties such as respiratory therapy, clinical exercise, advanced cardiac life support, exercise test technology, and registered dietitian studies.
Your medically supervised exercise sessions
Each patient is under the care of the program's medical director, respiratory therapist, and his or her own doctor. During exercise sessions, your respiratory status, symptom management and assessment with exercise are monitored by pulse oximetry. Oxygen is provided when needed. Regular progress reports are made available to the referring physician. Upon completion of the medically supervised exercise program, you'll receive instructions on an individual maintenance exercise program.
Maintenance exercise sessions, which are supervised by our highly qualified ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) trained staff, are held several times per week for those who have completed their preliminary pulmonary rehabilitation program and wish to maintain their progress.
Pottstown Hospital’s outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program meets 2-3 times a week for 12-18 weeks, depending on insurance coverage.
Each session uses education and exercise to:
- Help reduce respiratory symptoms
- Optimize your capability of performing daily activities
- Address the psychological and physical aspects of everyday living with respiratory disease.
Entering the Program
To enter the program, participants must have a referral from their primary physician. Before beginning the program, participants are required to complete:
- A low-level stress test (to evaluate current physical ability)
- Pulmonary function test (to determine lung capacity)
- Six minute walk test (to assess aerobic capacity and endurance)
- These tests need to be ordered by the primary physician or specialist at the time of referral
- A written referral from your doctor is needed for rehabilitation services. We will work with your doctor for authorization
When You Complete the Program
Participants will be encouraged to continue their exercise plans at home or continue in our extension program for a minimal fee. Lifestyle changes such as daily walks, breathing exercises and proper nutrition planning will continue to help clients control their disease.
Most insurance companies, including Medicare, Blue Cross and HMOs, will cover the cost of this program. However, participants are encouraged to inquire if their personal insurance plan covers these expenses. There may be a co-pay depending on the insurance plan.
Print your forms
Please print and fill out these forms to help us better address your needs at your appointment.
Forms for Pulmonary Rehabilitation:
Dedicated free parking is available.