Ready to Get Back to your Normal Routine?
The Cardiac Rehabilitation program at Pottstown Hospital provides a 12-week outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program of monitored exercise, which features new, state-of-the-art equipment. The program is designed to strengthen and improve the activity of the heart following a heart attack, valve replacement, coronary bypass, percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA), heart transplant or stable angina. The goal of the program is to help patients return to a healthier and more active lifestyle as safely and quickly as possible.
The following conditions are appropriate for cardiac rehabilitation:
- Heart attack
- Stent placement
- Medically managed coronary artery disease
- Open heart surgery
- valve replacement
- Heart failure.
Start-to-finish cardiac rehabilitation services
Once enrolled, you'll be guided start-to-finish through our comprehensive program.
The services you'll receive include:
- Comprehensive evaluation
- Individually designed rehabilitation program
- Medically supervised exercise
- Education and counseling
- Supportive environment from others experiencing cardiac events
- Referral to Tower Health programs
- Referral to a clinical dietitian
- Continuation in a maintenance exercise program
The doctors, dietitians, cardiac technicians and respiratory therapists are who make up our cardiac rehabilitation team and who hold a variety of certifications in specialties such as respiratory therapy, clinical exercise, advanced cardiac life support, dysrhythmias, exercise test technology, and registered dietitian studies.
Your medically supervised exercise sessions
Each patient is under the care of the program's medical director, clinician, and his or her own doctor. During exercise sessions, your heart rhythms, respiratory status, symptom management and assessment with exercise are monitored by pulse oximetry and telemetry. Oxygen is provided when needed. Regular progress reports are made available to the referring physician. Upon completion of the medically supervised exercise program, you'll receive instructions on an individual maintenance exercise program.
Maintenance exercise sessions, which are supervised by our highly qualified ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) trained staff, are held several times per week for those who have completed their preliminary cardiac rehabilitation program and wish to maintain their progress.
Pottstown Hospital’s outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program meets 2-3 times a week for 12-18 weeks, depending on insurance coverage.
Each session uses education and exercise to:
- Help reduce cardiac symptoms
- Optimize your capability of performing daily activities
- Address the psychological and physical aspects of everyday living with cardiac disease.
Entering the Program
To enter the program, participants must have a referral from their primary physician. Before beginning the program, participants are required to complete:
- Stress test (to evaluate current physical ability)
- Six-minute walk test (to assess aerobic capacity and endurance)
- These tests need to be ordered by the primary physician or specialist at the time of referral
- A written referral from your doctor is needed for rehabilitation services. We will work with your doctor for authorization
When You Complete the Program
Participants will be encouraged to continue their exercise plans at home or continue in our extension program for a minimal fee. Lifestyle changes such as daily walks, breathing exercises and proper nutrition planning will continue to help clients control their disease.
Most insurance companies, including Medicare, Blue Cross and HMOs, will cover the cost of this program. However, participants are encouraged to inquire if their personal insurance plan covers these expenses. There may be a co-pay depending on the insurance plan.
Print your forms
Please print and fill out these forms to help us better address your needs at your appointment.
Dedicated free parking is available.